Don’t forget that a rural market is taking place at the colliery site in Crumlin tomorrow, Saturday October 25 between 10am and 2pm.
Please go along and give your support.
Cess wants to encourage young people to think about the way that their behaviour may affect elderly and vulnerable people this Halloween. He tells us about an experience that left him frightened after some young people ran through his garden and banged on his doors and windows. For several years, Cess has visited many schools throughout the Caerphilly area telling children his story but this short video can tell us all about an experience that left him frightened.
Please remind your children to think about others this Halloween and if you do see the ‘No Callers Please’ pumpkin in someone’s window – please respect it. Thank you!
Please watch this video to see his story…..
Many passengers are annoyed at the state of the Ebbw Vale to Cardiff train service. On a number of occasions in the last week, carriages have been taken out of service due to mechanical breakdowns leaving just two carriages for journeys at rush hours slots. Commuters to the city are getting irate as one person commented;
“we all pay the same fare but have to stand for most of the journey, it’s not cheap to travel every day and we pay for a seat so we arrive fresh at our place of work”.
In January the Welsh Government minister Edwina Hart had earmarked funding for improvements to the Ebbw Valley line that would allow for an extra hourly passenger rail service as part of the South East Wales Metro plan. The Wales Route has started feasibility work for an infrastructure enhancement scheme on the Ebbw Vale line, to provide a passing loop at Llanhilleth to enable a more frequent service on the line. A further expansion of the Ebbw Vale line, with an extra passing loop at Llanhilleth, plus a second platform face, will enable an additional hourly service, to give a combined half hourly frequency at the six branch line stations in the valley.
The Welsh Government’s Outline Business Plan for the electrification scheme set out plans to run 16 trains per hour through Cardiff Queen Street using three-car Electric Multiple Units.The initial programme for the Valley Lines electrification project shows completion of all lines by December 2019.
This move has the potential to provide a link to Newport – but it was unclear when it would go ahead or whether that train would instead be bound for Cardiff. The Newport Area Resignalling Scheme was always used as a reason why the train could not go to Newport, this has now been complete.
A community project to save a historic colliery site has been boosted by a £250,000 grant from the Welsh Government.
Edwina Hart, Minister for Economy Science and Transport, has awarded the grant for land reclamation works at the site of the former Navigation Colliery in Crumlin.
The colliery was built between 1907 and 1911 at a time when South Wales was the world’s largest coal exporter.
It still has 11 separately listed buildings as well as other listed surrounding structures – the winding houses, fan house, chimney and power-house are all listed Grade II*.
The South Wales Building Preservation Trust took over ownership of the site in 2011 and is working with the council and other organisations, including the Prince’s Regeneration Trust, to safeguard the future of the buildings.
Local groups Glofa Navigation Trust and The Friends of the Navigation have around 15 dedicated community volunteers, who are working hard to maintain the site to prevent further deterioration.
Vera Jenkins, Community Champion for Glofa Navigation Trust, said people involved with the project were “over the moon” at the grant.
She said: “The money will be used for remedial work to help clean the site up.
“Our intention is to save the buildings and bring the site back into community use.”
Jocelyn Davies, AM for South Wales East, welcomed the decision after she brokered a meeting between the Minister and the organisations leading the project.
The Plaid AM said: “Navigation Colliery is a significant part of the heritage of the South Wales Valleys coalfield. Securing this grant from the Welsh Government is an important step in restoring this historic site so that it can be adapted for new uses to benefit the local community.
“Navigation Colliery is not only our past, it is also our future.”
The grant will be used by the Prince’s Regeneration Trust, with support from the Glofa Navigation Trust and friends group, to secure the site by tackling pollution rising from the former mineshaft and preventing a culvert beneath the main access road collapsing.
Ros Kerslake, Chief Executive of the Prince’s Regeneration Trust, said: “We’re thrilled that the Welsh Government has made this significant financial commitment to the Navigation Colliery which will make vital remediation work possible – without which there would be no hope of the site ever being reoccupied.”
• A rural market is taking place at the colliery site on Saturday October 25 between 10am and 2pm. All volunteers are welcome and for more information call 01495 243729.
Source: Caerphilly Media Ltd
Council leader says members must lead by example as £12m cuts bite.
The move comes after the recent budget settlement announcement from the Welsh Government, which saw the authority receive a 3.4% reduction in funds for next year – about £9m.
Councillor Keith Reynolds, the leader of the council, said the 10-member-strong cabinet would be “more than happy” to make a contribution if it helped lessen the bite of impending cuts.
Last week, the Rhymney Valley Express reported that the budget for next year would have to be cut by £12m, and potentially by a massive £40m over a three-year period.
Councillor Reynolds said: “We all agree this is absolutely the right thing to do as we have a duty to lead this authority by example.
“I want to send a clear message out to our residents and staff that we are working hard to protect services and we are more than happy to make a contribution if it helps lessen the impact of the cuts ahead.”
On October 29, a cabinet meeting will consider draft budget proposals for next year.
Councillor Reynolds added: “We have a number of very difficult budget decisions to make over the coming weeks and the cabinet want to show unity with the rest of the organisation as we ask all our departments to make cuts.”
Opposition group Plaid Cymru said the 5% individual allowance cut represented a “gesture”.
Councillor Colin Mann said: “We welcome the decision of the cabinet to reduce their allowances which is long overdue. Plaid Cymru has been urging Labour rulers to follow their colleagues on Rhondda Cynon Taf and Cardiff councils but until now they ignored our appeals.
“The savings proposed won’t have any major impact on the authority’s budget problems but it does represent a gesture when the people of the county borough are facing cuts in services.”
He added: “However, we note that the Labour group is continuing to ignore our appeals to reduce the number of cabinet members.
“They increased the number to 10 immediately when they took office in 2012. The cabinet is top heavy and could be cut without any impact on the running of the authority.”
More than 1,700 residents throughout the county borough have already taken part in a budget consultation that will help shape council services over the next few years.
During August and September, local people were asked on their views on the range of discretionary services – those which the council are not required to provide by law.
Coun Keith Reynolds said: “I would like to thank everyone who took the time to complete the survey and provided invaluable feedback about the way we deliver our services in the future.
He added: “Local authorities across Wales face huge budget cuts over the next three years and Caerphilly wants consultation to play a key role in the way it prioritises services and agrees its budget allocation.
“The results from this survey, together with the other consultation activity undertaken to date, will help inform the budget planning process over the next few weeks.”
Source: Wales On Line
A good day was had at Crumlin Cricket Six’s on the bank holiday weekend, check out this short video.
TiP: Click the bottom right corner to go full screen….
An all Wales police initiative is launching a two week operation to target motorists who use mobile phones whilst driving.
This all Wales enforcement campaign is urging all road users to ‘keep their eyes on the road’ and not be distracted by answering their mobile phone, reading a text or going online.
Police patrols will increase across Wales for the duration of the enforcement campaign, which runs from 6th until 19th October, to promote the safety message and raise awareness of the dangers and penalties amongst motorists.
Go Safe safety camera vans will also be used for the duration of the campaign as they also enforce mobile phone offences.
Gwent Police Roads Policing Inspector, Martyn Smith said: “Use of a mobile/smart phone is second nature to most people these days, therefore they may feel confident that they can do so behind the wheel without any impact. This clearly isn’t the case. Just losing concentration for a second could result in devastating consequences.
“As soon as a driver accesses their mobile/smart phone whether it be taking a call, using a Sat Nav function, texting or accessing a social media app, they aren’t giving their full attention to the road, and risk becoming involved in a collision. All of these actions carry the same danger and hence, the same penalty.
“The safest thing do to avoid all temptation is switch off your phone before you drive and pick up any missed calls or texts when it is safe and convenient to do so.”
Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent to increase the amount of council tax collected locally to maintain the policing service provided to Gwent residents.
This item was posting in one of the comments to another post but I feel it needs front page attention as well. Firstly did we realise the police commissioner had the power to increase our council tax to pay for the lack of proper funding to the police, funding we already pay for in our local and national tax’s, where’s it going to stop, will cuts to other services get there extra funding from us through our council tax? It seems all these cuts eventually filter down to the man and women on the street to pick up all the bills. The NHS has had to “do things better to save money” as they cannot raise money in any other way.
Please take the survey, to give your opinion and also let your MP know how you feel.
Urging as many people in Gwent to have their say by completing the survey, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent, Ian Johnston, said: “I have identified that due to the continual funding cuts that are being inflicted upon Gwent Police by the Government I need to increase the amount of council tax collected locally in order to maintain, as far as possible, the policing service provided to Gwent residents. I am keen to hear what you think so that my decisions take your views into account when setting the policing precept for next year and reviewing the Gwent Police priorities.”